The Office of the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts originated in 1802 when the Ohio State Constitution provided for the appointment of a clerk of courts for each county. William Henry Harrison, ninth President of the United States, was appointed Hamilton County Clerk of Courts in May, 1836 and was our Clerk when he was elected president in 1840. In 1851 the Clerk of Courts became an elected position for a three-year term. Since 1936 it has been a four-year term.
The Office of the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts has been held by a long succession of outstanding citizens over the years, as follows: